By: Maria Pakhomova, Work and Travel Administrative Coordinator
Chicago is the city that burned down and like a phoenix, has risen from its own ashes. It’s a place where outsiders can find a reminder of home, while experiencing a new inclusive world. If you are currently deciding on your next travel destination, do not miss the Windy City where the people know how to have fun.
Here is a taste of what Chicago can offer you:
Here are all the places you MUST see while in Chicago. Sometimes, even the residents miss out on these things!
- Millennium Park – You aren’t a true tourist until you take the obligatory distorted picture of the Cloud Gate or more commonly referred to as “The Bean.” But don’t forget to check out the rest of the park. Around 6-7 pm the fun begins. Jay Pritzker Pavilion brings Chicagoans together with free ballet, jazz, and classical music performances from the best artists of the city and around the world.
- Adler Planetarium – With architecture from the Ancient Greeks, it does not matter how old you are or your IQ, everyone will find something to their liking here. You will behold a collection of very expensive toys that contain knowledge about the universe and space. If you want to see the true beauty of the stars and planets on your palm, then you should stop by.
Are you someone who enjoys practicing foreign languages? Here are neighborhoods that will help you tie your tongue into a knot:
- Ukrainian Village – the place where the time truly has frozen. This neighborhood has ties to the “old world” of the USSR. We do not suggest discussing politics and cultural preferences, but if you a foodie, then check this place out. You can find homemade “pirogi” and “red borsch” everywhere. Yummy!
- Greek town – If you are looking for a place to chill with your friends then this is for you. Nothing can compare to a moment when you share food with your friends followed by a nice cup of cappuccino. Here, time slows down and allows you to indulge yourself. But do not be mistaken – the Greeks know how to be wild. Stop by after 9pm and you will see singing, dancing, dishes breaking, and money thrown like paper.
- Chinatown – Every big city has one. Chinatown is the epitome of an urban enclave. Do not be shocked to find things you wouldn’t see anywhere else – cuisine, music, architecture, fashion or even the people. Residents in this neighborhood are some of the kindest people you will find in the city.
- While in Chicago, be prepared to choose a side: North or South, Cubs or White Sox. Baseball culture is a center of pride within the city. Generally, the city is married in their beliefs, but when it comes to baseball, do not mess with Chicago.
- If you think that listening about baseball on an empty stomach is exhausting then grab a Chicago style hot dog and glass of local beer. Good food and a drink are going to make your integration into American sports less strange and much more fun. If the rules are still tough to get then just follow the crowed and scream “Yay!” every time players hit the ball. Just make sure that you are following the right team!
Chicagoland has been the home of CCI Greenheart since 1985, and we love it here. Come visit and you’ll be sure to have a great time!